I completed a Whole30 about a month ago. Doing so taught me a lot about skipping dairy and going vegan. I quickly came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to live with out a sweet treat once in awhile, and I had to figure out ways to satisfy the craving in a vegan, no added sugar kind of way. Following a restricted diet, it's important to concentrate on what you can eat and finding ways for those foods to satisfy your needs. I happen to consider ice cream on a hot summer day a need, and so this vegan banana ice cream was born. Not only is it dairy-free, but it also has the added benefit of some nutrient blasting maca powder as well.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1/2 Cup Almonds
1 Tbsp. Maca Powder
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Sea Salt
1. Slice banana and lay pieces out on a piece of wax paper
2. Roll the piece of wax paper up, making sure a layer of wax paper is in between slices. Stick in the freezer for at least 1 hour to freeze bananas.
3. Chop almonds in a food processor and set aside in a small dish. Add bananas to the food processor and blend until an ice cream texture is reached.
4. Add maca powder, almonds, and vanilla. Blend a bit more until all is evenly mixed in.
5. Garnish with sea salt and eat right away, or store in freezer.