Like everyone else, I've been eating healthier in the New Year. This is one of my many recipe creations in the venture to do so. It is a spin on seafood bisque with squash-based broth and no dairy. The seafood dresses it up, and adds healthy protein. Each bite feels like an indulgence. Things just shouldn't taste this good, and be this healthy.
1 Large Garlic Clove
2 Acorn Squash
5 Cups Water
1 Tsp. Vegetable Bouillon or a Bouillon Cube
2 Tsp Moroccan Seasoning
1 Tsp Tumeric
1 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Safron Threads
Ghee & Olive Oil for Sauteing
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice the acorn squashes in half and lay them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Dress with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until caramelized.
2. Remove squash from the oven. Once cooled, scoop out the innards and set aside.
3. Using hot olive oil, saute chopped onions and garlic in a large stock pot.After they are cooked through, add squash, water, and spices. Important, do not salt until the very end. Oysters add a lot of saltiness to a dish and you don't want to overdo it.
4. Using a hand blender, turn the squash and onions into a fine liquid. Let simmer.
5. In a separate saute pan, caramelize scallops and shrimp in ghee. Set them aside in a bowl when finished.
6. Toss oysters into the squash broth and cover the pot. The steam that is trapped with your lid will cook the oysters. Remove the lid once all have opened. After 5-7 minutes they should be done.
7. Kill the flame and mix in scallops and shrimp.
8. Taste for seasoning and add as much salt/pepper as is needed.